Sunday, July 27, 2008

The price of health

My wife & 5 year old daughter spent 7 hours at the Auburn Regional Medical Center today. When my wife relayed the status of our daughters condition to the nurses staffed on the Urgent Care help line (103 degree temperature and climbing since the night before with vomiting through the night), they recommended taking her in to the Emergency Room at the hospital.

My wife sat & waited for 3 hours to be seen. When the time came that my daughters Motrin had worn off and she could have another dose, my wife asked to get something to help reduce the fever. After an hour there was nothing and she was told just a few more minutes. After 3 hours someone came in to discharge her and my wife indicated they had still gotten nothing of the sort. Her request was finally fulfilled on the way out the door but she was still sent home with 104 degree temperature which was worse than when she got there.

I'm no doctor but that makes no sense to me. The other thing I don't understand is what the heck I'm paying these medical expenses for. When my daughter leaves the hospital worse than when she went in, having spent several hours there, and received only a few minutes of attention during that time, I am unable to comprehend what awesome service I'm paying for.

1 comment:

Kim N said...

That is awful. I am sorry they had to spend the day in the waiting room and not get the help they were hoping for. I hope you all have a better night and that she gets better quickly.

I have felt the same way at times about health care. It is too bad when it gets to the point that you wonder if you should even waste the copay to go in.