Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Going Solo

This is from a comment I made to someone else's blog post but when I got done making the "comment" it was longer than I had anticipated originally writing and decided it warranted posting here.

[My Daughter Sara]...Loves to play with friends but content most of the time in her own world playing by herself. Last night I spent a couple minutes trying to make contacts using the handheld ham radio while standing at the window in my room. To do this I say something like, “Good evening this is KE7UTN (my call sign) checking the repeater. Is anyone listening tonight?” Sara must have watched and several minutes later my wife came to tell me Sara was wandering around her room by herself with a toy flip phone to her ear saying things like, “Hello, this is GFCO (the group Mandy is involved in) is anyone out there listening?” It is not uncommon to walk by her room to see her in there by herself playing with toys and talking to them or acting as the voice for them so they can talk to each other. Sometimes she has her toys argue with each other and sometimes they do something where she has to discipline them. It’s funny to watch & listen sometimes.

1 comment:

Mike said...

My oldest (who is 20 now) was just like your daughter. Her mother and I would almost forget about her because she was always in her room entertaining herself. Didn't stop her from being social as she got older.

Her mother and I also thought that since she was so easy and did things by herself we should have another. Big mistake. I love my youngst but she was not way like my oldest. She needed to be the center of attention. She finally grow out of that as well.