Monday, July 28, 2008

A job well done

My Dad taught me that if you're going to do something, do your best at it and always finish what you start.

For the last couple years I was reminded of this anytime I drove through a neighborhood not far from mine. There is this house on the main street in this neighborhood where the front yard is divided somewhat in half by the cement walkway going from the street up to the house. What I found odd about this, and the thing that reminded me of my Dad's teachings was that only one side of the front yard had a lawn put in and the other side was just dirt. For many months before this I remember both sides were just black plastic held down by rocks to prevent weeds from growing. Then came the week when there was topsoil spread out and it was like that for several more months, and finally the one side had seeds planted and green started to pop up. It remained like this for quite some time and the sight reminded me of another saying that sounded very similar to one my Dad used when I wouldn't complete a job such as taking the trash out but not putting a new bag in the can or doing yard work but not putting the tools away.

This is...wait for the punchline...

...A Half Grass Job

No comments: