Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Timex Sloagan Made True

Some time ago Timex had ads that stated their watches "takes a licken and keeps on ticken". I have a personal experience with this in a way. My brother gave me one of those digital calculator watches around 1991 or so. It was great especially given my aptitude for math. The amazing part of the story is that I wore this watch up until last month when it finally died. When I say that I mean that the battery and all its functionality lasted me 17 years. I have never had the battery replaced. The watch has never been opened since it's been given to me. During this time I've replaced the watch band several times, perhaps every year or so. I tried genuine leather, imitation leather, velcro, basic plastic / rubber, etc;

This watch was great for me. I had it in -40 degree temperatures in central Canada. It's been in the clear blue waters of the Bahamas and the warm ocean waters of Maui beaches. I've worn the watch swimming, snorkeling, camping, biking, hiking, and many other activities during all kinds of weather. This watch from the early 90's didn't have many of the newer features of todays watches such as Indiglo backlight and didn't have any kind of fancy display where it showed anything more than the time without pressing another button to show the date or anything else. It served me well for those many years and I found myself in a unique situation, I've never had to go shopping for a new watch in my adult life and I probably never will open that watch to replace the battery. It's done it's job extremely well, been through a great many experiences for a watch, and I believe it's way past its time to retire.

Rest in peace Timex calculator watch from the early 90's.

No comments: