Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Helping the giver

This year I've decided to do something a little unconventional and uncharacteristic for me. It's actually part for me and part for others. There's a part of me who thinks everyone should do something similar and I don't mind telling you why but first let me tell you what. I started a list of things that I would like to own which is basically a wish list. Now this may seem at first to be materialistic but follow my thought process on this. The list is online and viewable by anyone that wants to see it. Not only does it help anyone that wants to get me a gift and cares to know what I actually might want vs. picking some gift at random, at the very least it gives some insight into what some of my interests are.

Some of these things are of course what I consider big ticket items that if I actually want to own them, I would indeed be saving to make the purchase myself since I'm not part of some charity that people donate large sums of money to in order to fulfill my personal wants. But I've also put some things on the list that don't cost so much either. Now, having the pessimistic outlook on this, in reality I don't expect anyone but me to really use this list so I'd be pleasantly surprised if anyone else did.

While having the list can immediately give someone the impression that I may be a materialistic person, I look at it with a different perspective. I go to work every day, I have bills to pay and a family to support and I'm glad I can provide for their needs. You have to admit that life is more fulfilling when you can also supply some wants and it's a great feeling anytime you can give your family some of the things you did not have growing up. But for me the list represents exactly what the title of it is, a wish list. What that means to me and why it's really important is part of what keeps me going back to a job that I've been doing for 9 years and isn't always fulfilling and some days can be somewhat boring. It's important to have goals and things to look forward to. If I ever got everything on my wish list, I think I'd have less motivation and determination to work harder and be better. Don't get me wrong, that's not entirely what drives me alone. I am self-motivated to be better & do better than I have in the past because I like to improve myself and it gives me a healthy self-esteem to see the things I've accomplished. (Don't worry, my wife keeps my ego in check by helping me realize my flaws while also telling me how proud she is of the things I do right. Thank you wife.)

Anyway, the point of the "wish list" for me is to always be working for something that can be called a personal reward even if it's something simple. Speaking of which, in looking for possible Christmas gifts for those people that might not know what they want or only have more expensive items on their wish list, there's a wide variety of fun toys, gadgets & things over at Think Geek (hint, hint). It's great to have dreams and to keep dreaming. They make life more enjoyable. And if you can fulfill some of those dreams, even better.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pxILMfqp1MQA35IXjP10vEw

No comments: