Thursday, October 30, 2008

This or That

I think indecision might be one of my areas that I need to focus on for improvement.  Or more plainly put, one of my big flaws.  When it comes to my job I don't have this issue as much as other areas of my life.  My job is technical support and generally speaking the systems I support have a logic to them that can be looked at with reason (contrary to what some people believe like "computers just do what they want").  

Most other areas of my life aren't always so logical where the results of a decision can be determined somewhat closely.  When a choice is presented there may be a number of options and optimally you want to make the choice that provides the best outcome.  With computers, you execute a command or action and should be able to get an expected result.  When you can expect the result of an action, it makes the decision somewhat easier.  But when your decisons involve the futures of others and variables that include social interactions, emotions, and all that human stuff as it does when raising kids and taking care of a family, the decisions don't always come as easy.

These decisions affect and shape peoples lives.  Maybe not a single decison but a pattern of decisions perhaps that defines how you react to situations.  I believe this has the most impact in the lives of my kids but it also applies to my wife, other relationships that I have with family & friends, and anyone I interact with.  Sometimes it's like the Butterfly Effect.  Nonetheless, it's still a learning process for me as well and I use my best judgement and hopefully I can learn from my mistakes and be open to constructive criticism without getting defensive.  

No comments: